Saturday, October 22, 2005

Enough

I work everyday to firm up my abs but I still never seem to be able to toughen up my soft underbelly. This area is where I store all my insecurities and self doubt. A while ago I wrote a song without any music. I can hear it in my head but unfortunately I don't not possess the talent to actually make music so others can hear it too. It was at a time after John Entwistles death and I had seen an interview with Pete Townshend, he said how Roger Daltrey was in a bad place between John's death and Pete's arrest. Through my perception of Roger Daltrey and who I think he is and how I think he may feel I wrote the following. I showed it to someone to read and he told me after he read it that I should post it here, he was pretty sure about it; me I am not so sure. I thought "easy for him to say he didn't write it"! I figured one of two things either he was blowing smoke up my ass or he really liked it. I have to be the optimist here and not the cynic and go ahead and post it. Well here it is, let me know what you think!

ENOUGH

A disheartened boy wears the mask of a clown
Not knowing how to feel love always brought him down
Peace escaped him like sand through his fist
Only found comfort when thoroughly pissed
We always knew we wouldn’t have you for long
Why wasn’t it enough to be the beat of the song?

(Chorus)It’s fine to feel full after you’ve cleaned your plate.
You can be satisfied and still create.
Don’t yearn for the glory of yesterday.
Drench yourself in the mystery of tomorrow.

You stood so firmly in the background
Ever present with your thunderous sound
You lived the life of a true rock star
But that kind of thing never got you too far
You may have been silent but you were always so strong
Why wasn’t it enough to be the rhythm of the song?

Chorus

So many emotions we feel for each other
Love and hate like the rivalry of brothers
Your words filled my mouth and by them I stood
I sang them like you knew you never could
This job is a burden you’ve carried so long
Why isn’t it enough to be the words of the song?

Chorus

Will you ever know what you have meant to me?
You are second only to my family
As four together we created a spark
A spark that set fire to my heart
I may have been tough, came on too strong
It’s always been enough to be the voice of the song.
The voice of the song.

11 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

I love it. You've captured the feelings brilliantly.

10/23/2005 1:03 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Holy Shit!

I'm not lyin to you, I've written a fair amount of lyrics in my time and I can tell you that this is a fantastic song.

If it were me, I would write a letter to Mr. Daltrey and Mr. Townshend and enclose the words.

I was very moved when I read them. Have you considered co-writing with someone to fully develop a melody for it? Would Pete be interested? Wow, you have talent man.

10/24/2005 2:46 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Thanks both of you!

I am such a wimp I don't have the courage to write to either of them. I know they are as human as I but...........

Thank you for your kind words, it actually makes me a bit uncomfortable because I am so unsure of myself and my product. My son is a fairly good songwriter, I am sure if I sat down with him we could work something out. I know how I want it to sound I can hear it in my head but it is a long way from actually being real.

10/24/2005 4:03 PM  
Blogger Debby said...

Wow - I agree with Gary...thats fantastic!

10/24/2005 4:17 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

mf,
This is a gem. Really. I'll bet it felt good to get it on paper.

Buck

10/24/2005 11:25 PM  
Blogger Kid Ric said...

Hello Meg,
Excellent lyrics. I write myself. I am a drummer and also wear the mask of a clown. But then again, why not, I am a professional clown also. Smile. Very nicely done. Peace.

10/25/2005 1:55 PM  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

I did choke up!
I too hear music in my head, only mine stays there. I have no outlet for musical expression, only musical appreciation. I appreciate your lyrics!

10/26/2005 3:34 PM  
Blogger JoeBoy said...

I keep coming back and reading this. I have printed it, and will work something up for you.

10/28/2005 11:51 AM  
Blogger JoeBoy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/28/2005 11:58 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Brilliant,beautiful lyrics
Meg!Definitely brings a lump to the throat.I hope Pete and Rog
get wind of this.I would go on
Pete's site and send it into
Eelpie.

11/01/2005 10:47 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

There are a million reasons as to why I am uncomfortable with that thought. I have never even written either one of them a fan letter. Thanks so much for your kind words and the encouragement to post it in the first place.

M

11/01/2005 7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home