Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Flight


Recently at a stop light I watched a hawk circle overhead, its wings were spread open as it hovered above, caught in the cross winds. What a magnificent bird. Such graceful motion, suspended in flight due to the wind beneath its wings. So unpredictable, haphazard, yet this hawk seemed to have complete control of the uncontrollable.

Did you ever feel like you are standing still, completely motionless, yet the world goes speeding by you? I feel as though things are happening around me so fast that I am not even aware of them. I am missing events that I should be storing away as memories. It took seeing that brilliant hawk in flight to make me to realize that I need to once again regain control of the uncontrollable. I need to spread my wings and take flight, find the cross winds that will lift me, the wing beneath my wings and at the same time make it look graceful and effortless.

3 Comments:

Blogger PTfan said...

Wow. Fantastic post. Superbly worded. Deep thoughts. I appreciate what you wrote. Reminds me of what the bible says: "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Simon is back to blogging!!!!! Go say hi!

5/03/2006 9:26 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Hey Meg,
Beautiful piece.

Maybe the hawk really isn't in control. Maybe it is just being a hawk, doing what its God intended.

Too deep. I'll try to add a penis or tit joke later.

Jeff

5/04/2006 9:12 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Dear Meg

Wow! You write very well & with much insight.
I love the hawk metaphor.

There are some things in life that we cannot grasp at the moment. Too much is happening all at once, but every little nuance in life is remembered, if only at a cellular level.
If we need to reach back for it, it will be there for us.

On a more physical note, I was watching the eagles glide over the lake the other afternoon.
I live in a valley between the Rocky & the Purcell Mountains.
The other afternoon we were relaxing on my friend's deck overlooking the lake. The water was calm, there was not a cloud in the sky & the sun was warm.
My friend's house is situated high over the valley & when the eagles fly over the water, they are at eye level from her doorstep.
We can hear the wind sounding through their wings as the fly past.

It is a truly wondrous thing to look a bald eagle in the eye!

:)
Dale

5/06/2006 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home