Monday, December 12, 2005

Do you believe in Santa?

I do!

He resides at the Neshaminy Mall in Langhorne, PA just prior to the big night. He has proven this to me twice and I feel compelled to share the events that took place with you.

The first incident took place about 8 years ago when my now 16 year old son was 8 and he was sitting on the fence as far as his belief in Santa was concerned. As a tradition in our house, every Christmas Eve since he was 4, we read the Polar Express (before Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg made it a movie) before bed. If you are unfamiliar with the story it involves a child asking for a bell from Santa's sleigh as a gift and it's ring can only be heard by believers. My son was very familiar with the story and he figured he came up with a fool proof plan to see if Santa was "real" or not. Unbeknownst to me he asked this Mall Santa for a bell off his sleigh. As we stood in line waiting for the pictures to be developed, Santa motioned to me and asked me to come over to him. He reached into a bag next to him and handed me a bell on a leather string and asked me to wrap this up for my son! Every hair on my body stood on end, I knew exactly why my son had asked for it and Santa came through!

The second incident occurred when my now 9 year old daughter was 3 1/2 years old. In November of that year I went on a class trip with my son and I left her home with her dad. Big mistake. While her father was downstairs captivated by Franklin on Nick Jr. she was up in the bathroom giving herself a makeover which included a haircut. When he went looking to see what she was doing he found her sitting on the toilet, with her long blonde curles circling the floor below her! He panicked! He picked her up and the hair up and ran to the Hair Cuttery. He said to the hairdresser her mother is going to kill me, do something. All she could do was grin and say I'm sorry! My daughter now sported a mullet, not your average mullet either, I am talking one of those backwoods, hearin' banjo music in the background mullets! Of course this was days before her Nursery School pictures. When I got home well lets just say I was a bit despondent! (I was also 8 months pregnant if that helps explain things) In hindsight it is a very funny story but to be honest I was really upset. My two older children were baldies as babies and well into toddlerhood, Emily had this long beautiful blonde curly hair, she was my first 3 year old that had any hair to speak of. I cherished it a little. She had her picture taken as is no hat no nothing, history is history and there is nothing you can do about it, right? A few weeks later we went to see Santa, not much growth had taken place! It did still bother me everytime I looked at her but I would never let on as she was as proud as punch with her new haircut. When we got up to Santa she sat with him and told her all of her wishes as they finished and walked away Santa grabbed my hand and he said to me "I really like her haircut. I really do" Up went my hair again! The thing that gets me is he said it to me not her, as if he knew how much it bothered me. Santa helped me immeasurably that day. He made me a believer, and I still am............................................................Do you believe in Santa?

18 Comments:

Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

Hi Meg,

It was so nice chatting with you on Sunday, so much fun!

Thanks for answering my question on my quitting blog, your input is precious! I'm discovering very interesting things through all the comments.

I'll draw my conclusions and post something about it in a couple of days...

How did the surgery go, btw?
I hope everything is fine.

xoxoxo
M

12/13/2005 7:57 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Yes, I DO believe in Santa Claus!
Without a doubt!

His spirit is in all of us. We just have to know where to find him, like you did!
Wonderful story.

Yes, I am ready for the challenge. I, too, had the figure I had in high school up until the last year or so. I graduated in 1974, if that gives you an idea!
I kind of "fell apart". Physically & mentally, but I did manage to hold it together enough for my family.
Maybe it was my mid-life crisis.
But all along I knew it was happening for a reason. That reason is still not quite clear to me, but I will discover eventually.

Funny how life is like that.
Same as finding Santa, we just have to believe & know where to look...

Thanks for your kind & encouraging words on my blog. I will hold onto them.
Nice to meet you, too!

XXX
Dale

12/15/2005 3:53 PM  
Blogger Kid Ric said...

Ho, Ho, Ho...

Santa does makes wishes come true.

I get all sentamental during the Christmas season.

What a story. Made my hair stand up too. Haircut and all.

Yea, hug 'em till they beg for more.

Thank you so much for your more than kind comment. I really appreciate it.

See you Saturday?

Peace, love and light to you and yours.

12/15/2005 6:33 PM  
Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

Good luck with the surgery tomorrow!

Hope you can make it for the Attic special/chat on Saturday!

*crossing fingers for you*
:o)
xoxoxo
M

12/15/2005 8:15 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

No I don't believe in Santa...but wow now that I read this perhaps I shall rethink it a bit!

Do you need a ticket to the show...not sure on your post over on Ric's blog...(kidric that is)

Please let me know ASAP if you need one and I can treat you!

Come visit us even if for a few!

Have a lovely weekend,
Molly

12/16/2005 2:53 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Uh Meg,
Santa is a myth. I'm guessing you knew that.

Yeah, I believe. My daughter was always afraid of him and wouldn't go near the guy. Even now, she keeps her distance. My son had his first vist to Santa this year, and it definitely brought a tear to my eye - pure magic. He showed Santa how high he can jump and told him about "the rollie ball thing" he wants.

Buck

12/19/2005 9:18 AM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Just popping by to say hello and I missed you at my chat! Next time! I am thinking a New Years one or something of the sort! OK now that would surely show a blog addict to post at midnight instead of celebrating the new year in some fun fashion LOL. I was thinking the day after or something..will post hope you can make it!

Happy Holidays to you! I hope you get what you want!

XXMolly

12/20/2005 1:47 AM  
Blogger JoeBoy said...

What? Are there people who don't believe? Of course there is a Santa Claus. He is all around us 24/7 365 days. Some just do not notice.

12/21/2005 4:07 PM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas Meg!!

12/23/2005 1:53 AM  
Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

Hey Meg,

Wishing you the best for Christmas and for a very exciting Who Year!!!

Lots of love,
xoxoxo
and
hohoho
M

12/25/2005 6:09 AM  
Blogger Kid Ric said...

Merry Christmas and the happiest of happy New Years.

Peace, love and light.

12/25/2005 12:58 PM  
Blogger Kid Ric said...

Happy New Year to you and your family Meg.

"Chat after the New Year" will take place on Sunday January 8th 2006 at 2pm Mountain time at BallerinaGurl's. Will be inviting special guests so you never know who will show up and make our time more enjoyable.

Peace, love and light.

12/31/2005 2:25 PM  
Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

It's 2006!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

xoxoxo
M

12/31/2005 8:12 PM  
Blogger Lee Bird said...

Hi, Meg, and thanks for stopping by to listen to the band. That's an older song they've got posted, and I'm trying to convince them to put up an acoustic demo in IAC. We'll see if I succeed. :)

They're locally very successful, but they need some broader exposure, don't you think? :)

1/03/2006 2:28 AM  
Blogger Depmodeche said...

Happy New Year! Thank you for your saying that I look like Bono, but if you mean Bono who, say, works in the supermarket, perhaps you're correct. If you mean Bono the trained monkey, surely you're correct. But if you mean Bono from U2 than I suggest you RUN SCREAMING to your eye doctor!

Andrew
Ageltzer hot mail (for easier communication)

1/03/2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

You write so very well Megster,so I demand that you update your blog!! Pretty please? Glad you
liked the Si nekkids,butt I must
ask you:

When you say "keep 'em coming"
are you referring to the lady
bloggers?(insert devil emotican)lol.

1/10/2006 8:17 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Dear Meg

All that on your plate & a mother of four, to boot!

My hat goes off to you.
I could have you as my inspiration!

Thanks for the kind comment.

Dale

1/10/2006 10:55 PM  
Blogger ginab said...

Meg,

Thanks for stopping by, re: Pilates. Last night I experienced Hydro-fit which is, really, Pilates in the deep end of a pool. Much easier to breathe, to know when to, given there's water all around, and I must say a lot easier on the back and joints. Really kicks butt. And, I recommend it...you get a chance. I only take Sundays off, by the way.

Thanks again for saying hi. A belated happy yule to you!

-g+bb

1/11/2006 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home