Friday, March 17, 2006

Intersections

Sometimes a song is just that, a song. Other times it is more then that. It is an expression, a guide or words to live by. I suppose it all depends where you are in your life how a song translates to you. At one point, a song can be like a gentle rub on your shoulders, you enjoy it but it could be harder, deeper. Then at another point, that same song can be like a stiff smack up against the back of your head, sort of like being blindsided by reality.

That very thing happened to me just the other day. I was hiding from my children in the basement. They were upstairs CLEANING of all things and there was no way I was going to disturb that totally unnatural phenomenon! My son had his computer randomly playing songs he has downloaded (legally of course!) and A Second Out (by Roger Daltrey) came across the speakers. Like I said I was in the basement and they were one floor above me but I could hear it loud and clear. My son's speakers only have two settings loud and LOUDER! I started to listen and BAM! I got a swift one upside the back of my head. I intersected with this song. He sings very passionately about an intersection in his own life and it just so happens that is where I am in my life now and in some ways it is a great comfort and in other ways it hurts as much being smacked upside the head! What I realized is time is the key and we have to let her take her course. Stop wishing she would pass faster, like when we are sitting in the dentist chair or wishing her to come to a halt, I can't even begin to list the reasons why I wish time could stand still! Such simple yet profound words from a man who is usually under estimated or routinely criticized for his contributions, makes me really glad I always go with the underdog! Thank you Mr. Daltrey!



A Second Out

All I needed was a little grace* to
Take a Second Out
Just some time to recuperate and
Take a Second Out

Overloaded it was hard to find me
I had to let it out
Rested up, I left it all behind me was
Just a Second Out

Well time is the healer
Don't let it pass you by
Well time is the healer
but oh how it flies

Take a Second Out
Take a Second Out

I never noticed how things had changed
I was missing out
Everything had been rearranged
I never listened out
Out of touch with everyone around me
They were movin' out
I'd given much and yet
I'd found me to be losin' out

Well time is the healer
Don't let it pass you by
Well time is the healer
but oh how it flies

Take a Second Out
Take a Second Out

Well time is the healer
Don't let it pass you by
Well time is the healer
but oh how it flies

Take a Second Out
Take a Second Out

Take a Second Out

*I take great pleasure that he uses the word grace here, my middle name is Grace and I believe that it is as important to have grace as it is to have compassion. I try to live with grace and dignity, I know, I know I can be quite provocative at times and I say what is in my head most of the time but I know when it is inappropriate and grace helps me keep it to myself. I am named for both my Grandmothers; Margaret, who died just prior to my birth and Grace who was the only Grandparent I knew. She was a staunch Catholic, a strong mother with a wicked sense of humor and the devil in her eyes. She raised 9 of the craziest people I have ever had the pleasure to know, my father and aunts and uncles all had/have a very dry yet extremely witty sense of humor and I am better for having all of them in my life. Now wasn't that graceful!?!?

13 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

Dear Meg

I very much enjoyed your post.

In my own life, I did not really come into my own until my 30th year.
I had my kids later in life - my youngest at 40 (Jenny Benny).

I do not regret one thing & I look eagerly into the future. Birthdays have come & gone - my next one is a big one.

I had no idea that I'd be so young when I reached 50!

Love
Dale

3/24/2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger PTfan said...

Hey, thanks for being so honest and open in your blog. Amazing. Your child had Roger Daltrey playing on the computer? That's odd, isn't it? Cool, but odd. Do you think they weren't trying to get yourt attn. and trying to lure you up from downstairs with Roger? Never know.

Time...I wish the world would stop for about 2 weeks so I could catch up. That's not going ot happen so I need to figure out a way to catch up withough stopping the world for 2 weeks.

What else I think of sometimes about time, I hope I will be able to write it in a way that makes sense. Time is strong and constant. It doesn't stop for anyone. Not even when someone you love dies. Now when someone you love dies, you may wonder how you can possibly go on. But time goes on. The world, life, goes on, even though someone you love's time on earth has just expired. It seems cruel in way. Someone that you think is so extremely important seems like they aren't impotant at all because the rest of the human race continues on without even a glitch. It's a sad feeling. I thought about that after my dad died. My dad died and everything is different, yet everything is just the same. Nothing has changed and the vast population of the earth doesn't care. In mourning, this is the mindset, but it's not cruel at all because there are so many other lives that are being lived. Can't stop them just because someone else has stopped. And then when you think of it, my dad hasn't really stopped living, he has just begun in the very presense of God. So we're sad, it seems tragic cuz we miss him but all is not lost. Time keeps rolling on like a machine. I really want to make the most of it.

Hope I didn't rant too long. I saw you on Dale's blog. I saw you live in PA just like me so I thought I'd come over and visit.

Take care.

3/25/2006 9:11 AM  
Blogger PTfan said...

Oh hello again. I just sent you an email and I commented on your guitar and pen post!

3/25/2006 4:05 PM  
Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

Hi Meg,

I'll come to the Goldhawk on Friday night and cross my fingers for a ticket...I'll come after work at around 7-7:30pm.
It will be fabulous finally meeting you! Plus all the Shouters.
Couldn't miss it for the world!!!

See ya!
xoxoxo
M

3/26/2006 4:03 AM  
Blogger Vallypee said...

What a lovely post, Meg! I love reading your thoughts; they follow such familiar patterns for me. I also love Take a Second Out. It's the last song on an anthology I have of RD's work over the years, and it's just so fitting, so touching and so intimate, it always brings a lump to my throat and that prickly feeling to my eyes.

In spite of his power as a singer, he could be so very gentle too.
Take care Meg
Till next time
Val

3/27/2006 8:04 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Thanks for posting on my blog. Wow we are alike....weird. I just posted a song if you want to download it thanks....michael :)

3/27/2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Hi Meg,

I don't know when my email system
will decide to work so I thought
I'd come over here but not sure
if you check this out to often.
Work was interesting.We wound up
having about 8 speakers such as
the CEO,the Chief of Surgeons,
Nurse Directors and more.I got
my hunter green polo shirt(no scrub shirts).I was thinking that
the scrub would be more comfortable
but we'll see.I actually hit the
floor Thursday morning at 7am!!
I'm ready!

Wow you leave for the UK in two days right?

I'd email you from Marc's computer
but he put the PC in the Best Buy
repair dept.Hopefully it'll get
back up soon!!

3/28/2006 8:16 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I found out that I am doing the exact same things as my dad (step dad) did when I was young and thought was crazy. I am sofar not being like my real dad, which has been a haunting drive all my life. Actually I think I will blog about it. Anyway, I think that something inside us changes when we have children. I look at things so much different, except music. But still I am 18 years old at heart and I make the same mistakes as a 18 year old will which drives Sherry crazy.

3/29/2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Great post Meg.
I've been on a roller coaster of emotions. I know the importance of taking that second out. I wish I could remember it more often.
Thanks to for mentioning Roger here. I miss hearing about him.
My daughters each have inspirational middle names; Faith and Hope. I do have faith and I hope that their names will mean as much as your name means to you!

Have fun on your trip...Rock the Uk for me!

4/03/2006 10:12 PM  
Blogger Delbut said...

Hi Meg. thanks for stopping by and checking out the photos. I take it you were there, then??

If i'd known i would have baught you an expensive drink.

Take care.

BTW. Loved the post about your son and the vent fan. Hilarious.

4/04/2006 11:44 AM  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Ah, I can't wait to see your pictures, Meg.
And, oh what was your little chat with Roger like?
At least you were up on the "roller coaster" for that one!

Hoping all is well

sue

4/04/2006 4:52 PM  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Did I say, Roger?
I meant Simon, of course!!! :0)



Thanks again for the stop at my blog!

4/04/2006 8:17 PM  
Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

Hey girl!

Wasn't it fabulous? Amazing? Out of this world?

Lovely meeting you and

See you soon!!!

xoxoxo
M

4/06/2006 3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home